Beagle Board verification
How I verified that my Beagle Board actually works and set up communication with the board through the serial port under both Windows and Linux.
, which went smoothly. As promised, I got the Beagleboard logo on the external DVI-D screen, a tone on the left headphone output,and printout on the serial terminal window of my host machine. Here is a description of how to set up communication with the board through the serial port under both Windows and Linux:
Communication with the Beagle Board through the serial port
Using Windows as a host
I then set up my hardware according to section 12.4 in the hardware reference manual, using a Windows machine with the TeraTerm terminal program as a host. Since this was a laptop without an actual serial port, I used a HL-340 USB-to-serial adapter cable, for which I had to install a Windows driver from the CD-ROM that came with the cable (D:\HL-232-340\HL-340.exe). In the Windows device manager, I configured that adapter to use COM1 rather than COM5 (since TeraTerm can only handle four COM ports) and to baud rate of 115200, 8 bit data, no parity, 1 bit stop, no flow control. I also configured TeraTerm itself to the same values (which are suggested in the hardware reference manual).
Using Linux as a hostLater, I tried to use Linux as a host, which boiled down to getting my HL-340 USB-to-serial adapter cable to work under Linux. It turns out that from kernel 2.6.24 onwards (which is the kernel version I happened to run), support for this cable is provided by default through the ch341
kernel module. However, running the command
sudo tail -f /var/log/messageswhile un- and then re-plugging the cable from my laptop revealed that the pl2303 module is loaded instead, which doesn't work. This seems to be a known issue, so I followed instructions from here
and added the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
blacklist pl2303After a reboot, the tail
command from above revealed that the right module was now loaded. It also showed me the device ID for my USB-to-serial adapter (/dev/ttyUSB0), which came in handy later when I actually connected to the board. To do so, I opted for the minicom serial terminal program:
sudo aptitude install minicom
I configured it by running
sudo minicom -s
and setting it to the usual 115200 baud rate, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, HW flow control off, and to /dev/ttyUSB0. After connecting, I got printout from the Beagle Board in minicom's terminal window.
Somw weeks later, my USB-to-serial adaptor suddenly gave up on me. It looked like a hardware problem with the cable, so I purchased a different one, which I got running with the pl2303 module, which I had to un-blacklist for that purpose.