Switching between images
How to switch between booting the Beagle Board from the standard image and from the Angstrom demo image, using different SD cards for the two images and resetting the boot parameters.
- Power off the board
- Insert the SD card with the image that you want to boot
- Make sure your serial connection from your host machine to the board is working and power it on
- After the test tone, when the serial console on your host machine gets to 'Hit any key to stop autoboot', do exactly that.
- Set the boot parameters for the image you want to boot (see below for which to choose).
- On the Beagle Board, press the 'Reset' button while holding the 'User' button.
# setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8 ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram0 rw rootfstype=ext2 initrd=0x81600000,8M nohz=0ff # setenv bootcmd 'mmcinit;fatload mmc 0 0x80300000 uImage;fatload mmc 0 0x81600000 rd-ext2.bin;bootm 0x80300000';
For the Angstrom demo image, I use the ones from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardBeginners:
# setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait' # setenv bootcmd 'mmcinit;fatload mmc 0 80300000 uImage;bootm 80300000'
To make these changes persistent, e.g. because you already know that you will want to boot the respective image by default, you can save these settings to the Flash memory: